Encyclopedia ofChicago
Historical Source
Historical Source
M
Map of Chicago and Additions, 1836

 

 

 

Map of Chicago and Additions, 1836

Created by the Illinois and Michigan Canal commissioners and recorded on July 2, 1836, this map mandates that a portion of the lakeshore be dedicated as "Public Ground. A Common to remain forever Open, Clear, & free of any buildings, or other Obstructions Whatever." Named Lake Front Park, this area was bounded by Randolph Street to the north, Madison Street to the south, Michigan Avenue to the west, and the lake to the east.