Encyclopedia ofChicago
Historical Source
Historical Source
A
Aerial View of Main Branch of Chicago River, 1951

 

 

 

Aerial View of Main Branch of Chicago River, 1951

The curve of the river dictates the form of Wacker Drive, the only street in the city that has addresses with directionals for north, south, east, and west. In this photo looking east along the main branch of the Chicago River, Wacker Drive can be seen as it follows the south shore of the main branch before turning south at Wolf Point (in the lower left corner of the photo) to follow the east bank of the river's South Branch. The double-decked Wacker Drive, completed in 1926, initially extended west and south to Lake Street, where it became Market Street. In 1953, the City Council changed the name of Market Street to South Wacker Drive.