Encyclopedia ofChicago
Entries : Spaghetti Bowl
Entries
S
Spaghetti Bowl

 

 

 

Spaghetti Bowl

The Circle Interchange, or Spaghetti Bowl, as it was dubbed by radio traffic reporters, was built in stages from 1955 to 1962 to connect three major expressways west of the Loop—today the Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Dan Ryan. The interchange, a series of expanding concentric circular patterns of ramps, quickly became one of the nation's most heavily used traffic nexuses. The complex also lent its name to the University of Illinois campus built nearby, which for a time was known as the Chicago Circle campus.

Bibliography
Chicago Area Transportation Study. 1995 Travel Atlas for the Northeastern Illinois Expressway System. 1998.
Condit, Carl W. Chicago, 1930–1970: Building, Planning, and Urban Technology. 1974.
Mayer, Harold M., and Richard C. Wade. Chicago: Growth of a Metropolis. 1969.