Encyclopedia ofChicago
Special Features : National Historic Landmarks in the Chicago Metropolitan Area
Special Features
N
National Historic Landmarks in the Chicago Metropolitan Area

 

 

 

National Historic Landmarks in the Chicago Metropolitan Area
Name Address City/ County Year Historical Significance
Abbott (Robert S.) House 4742 South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard Chicago ca. 1900 From 1926 to 1940, home of Robert Abbott, publisher of the Chicago Defender
Adler Planetarium 1300 South Lake Shore Drive Chicago 1930 First planetarium in the Western Hemisphere
Auditorium Building 430 South Michigan Avenue Chicago 1889 Concert hall and opera house designed by Louis H. Sullivan
Bailly (Joseph) Homestead West of Porter, IN, on U.S. 20 Porter County, IN 1822 Wilderness trading post
Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. Store 1 South State Street Chicago 1899–1906 Department store designed by Louis H. Sullivan, addition by Daniel H. Burnham
Charnley (James) House 1365 North Astor Street Chicago 1891–1892 House designed by Louis H. Sullivan
Chicago Board of Trade Building 141 West Jackson Boulevard Chicago 1928–1930 Commodity exchange
Compton (Arthur H.) House 5637 South Woodlawn Avenue Chicago 1916 From the late 1920s to 1945, home of Arthur Compton, Nobel Prize–winning Univeristy of Chicago physicist
Coonley (Avery) House 300 Scottswood Drive Riverside 1909 House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
Crow Island School 1112 Willow Road Winnetka 1940 Elementary school designed by Eliel and Eero Saarinen
Dawes (Charles G.) House 225 Greenwood Street Evanston 1894 From 1909 to 1951, home of Charles G. Dawes, vice president of the United States
DePriest (Oscar Stanton) House 4536–4538 South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard Chicago 1920 From 1929 to 1951, home of Oscar DePriest, the first African American elected to the House from a northern state
DuSable (Jean Baptiste Point) Homesite 401 North Michigan Avenue Chicago 1779 Location of settlement by Jean Baptiste Point DuSable
Farson (John) House 217 Home Avenue Oak Park 1897 House designed by George Maher
Fort Sheridan Historic District Fort Sheridan Lake County 1889–1908 Military fort designed in part by Holabird & Roche
Glessner (John J.) House 1800 South Prairie Avenue Chicago 1886 House designed by Henry H. Richardson
Grant Park Stadium (Soldier Field) 425 East 14th Street Chicago 1924 Memorial to World War I soldiers
Grosse Point Lighthouse 2601 Sheridan Road Evanston 1873 Maritime navigational landmark for Lake Michigan shipping corridor
Haymarket Martyrs’ Monument 863 South Des Plaines Avenue Forest Park 1893 Sculpture and monument commemorating 1886 Haymarket protest and struggle for eight-hour workday
Heurtley (Arthur) House 318 Forest Avenue Oak Park 1902 House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
Hull House 800 South Halsted Street Chicago 1856 Settlement house established in 1889 by Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr
Illinois & Michigan Canal Locks and Towpath Channon State Park Will County 1836–1848 Commercially significant canal linking Chicago to Mississippi River
Kennicott Grove Milwaukee and Lake Avenues Glenview 1856 From 1856 to 1866, home of Robert Kennicott, naturalist and explorer
Leiter II Building 403 South State Street Chicago 1891 Early skyscraper designed by William Le Baron Jenney
Lillie (Frank R.) House 5801 South Kenwood Avenue Chicago 1904 From 1904 to 1947, home of Frank R. Lillie, University of Chicago embryologist
Marquette Building 140 South Dearborn Street Chicago 1893–1894 Early steel frame building designed by Holabird & Roche
Marshall Field & Co. Store 111 North State Street Chicago 1892–1907 Location of retail firm of Marshall Field & Co.
Millikan (Robert A.) House 5605 South Woodlawn Avenue Chicago 1907 From 1907 to 1921, home of Robert A. Millikan, Nobel Prize–winning Univerisity of Chicago physicist
Montgomery Ward & Co. Complex 618 West Chicago Avenue Chicago 1907–1929 National headquarters for the country’s oldest mail-order firm
Old Stone Gate, Union Stockyard Exchange Avenue at Peoria Street Chicago 1879 From 1879 to 1971, main entrance to the Union Stock Yard
Orchestra Hall 220 South Michigan Avenue Chicago 1904 Home of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, designed by Daniel H. Burnham
Pullman Historic District 103rd–115th Street, Grove Avenue—RR tracks Chicago 1880–1884 Model industrial town for production of railroad cars, planned by George M. Pullman; site of major strike in 1894
Reliance Building 32 North State Street Chicago 1894–1895 Office building designed by Charles B. Atwood of Burnham & Root
Riverside Historic District Riverside 1868–1869 Model community designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux
Robie (Frederick C.) House 5757 South Woodlawn Avenue Chicago 1907–1909 House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
Rookery Building 209 South LaSalle Street Chicago 1885–1888 Office building designed by Burnham & Root; lobby remodeled by Frank Lloyd Wright
Room 405, George Jones Laboratory, University of Chicago 5700 block of South Ellis Avenue Chicago 1929 Location where, on August 18, 1942, Glen T. Seaborg and colleagues first isolated pure plutonium
Sears, Roebuck & Co. 925 South Homan Avenue Chicago 1905–1906 Office and printing facilities for Sears mail-order operations, once the country’s largest
Shedd Aquarium 1200 South Lake Shore Drive Chicago 1930 Surviving structure from Century of Progress Exposition; first inland saltwater aquarium in the United States
Site of First Self-Sustaining Nuclear Reaction 5600 block of South Ellis Street, University of Chicago Chicago n/a Location where, on December 2, 1942, Nobel laureate Enrico Fermi achieved first controlled self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction
South Dearborn Street—Printing House Row Historic District 343, 407, and 431 South Dearborn; 53 West Jackson Chicago 1883–1928 District includes four “Chicago School” buildings: the Manhattan (1891), the Fisher (1896), the Old Colony (1894), the Monadnock (1880–91)
Taft (Lorado) Midway Studios 6016 South Ingleside Avenue Chicago 1885–1929 From 1906 to 1929, studios of sculptor Lorado Taft
Tomek (F. F.) House 150 Nuttall Road Riverside 1907 House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
U-505 Museum of Science and Industry, Jackson Park Chicago 1929 German submarine captured June 4, 1944; displayed as memorial to 55,000 Americans who died at sea in World War II
Unity Temple 875 Lake Street Oak Park 1907 Unitarian church designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
Wayside, The 830 Sheridan Road Winnetka 1878 During the 1880s, home of social critic Henry Demarest Lloyd
Wells-Barnett (Ida B.) House 3624 South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive Chicago 1889 From 1919 to 1929, home of journalist and civil rights advocate Ida B. Wells
Willard (Frances) House 1730 Chicago Avenue Evanston 1865 Home of temperance movement leader Frances Willard
Williams (Daniel Hale) House 445 East 42nd Street Chicago ca. 1900 Home of Daniel Hale Williams, one of the first African American surgeons
Wright (Frank Lloyd) Home and Studio 428 Forest Avenue and 951 Chicago Avenue Oak Park 1889–1898 From 1887 to 1909, home and studio of Frank Lloyd Wright