Encyclopedia ofChicago
Entries : Commerce Clearing House, Inc.
Entries
C
Commerce Clearing House, Inc.

 

 

 

Commerce Clearing House, Inc.

In 1892, William Kix Miller started Commerce Clearing House, a Chicago-based publisher of guides to commercial and tax regulations. The demand for legal information services provided by the company allowed it to prosper, and by 1960 its new Peterson Avenue facility on the city's far Northwest Side employed over 1,000 people. In 1986, the company moved its headquarters from Chicago to suburban Riverwoods. Annual revenues grew from about $30 million in the mid-1960s to $600 million by the mid-1990s. In 1995, Commerce Clearing House was purchased for nearly $2 billion by Wolters Kluwer, a Dutch company.