Encyclopedia ofChicago
Entries : Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad Co.
Entries
C
Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad Co.

 

 

 

Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad Co.

In 1906, the merger of several streetcar lines in Chicago's western suburbs created the Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Railroad. By 1909, the line had four routes between the western satellite cities and downtown Chicago. In 1922 its name became the Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad Co. Owned briefly by Samuel Insull's Middle West Utilities Corp. during the late 1920s, the road entered bankruptcy in 1932. Despite financial difficulties, it continued to be an important commuter line. By 1940s, it carried about 30,000 riders a day over a network of 52 miles of track. The railroad eventually declined, ending passenger service in 1957 and freight service in 1959. The line was permanently abandoned in 1961.