Encyclopedia ofChicago
Entries : Hyde Park Township
Entries
H
Hyde Park Township

 

 

 

Hyde Park Township

Between 1861 and 1889, Hyde Park Township, the area south of 39th Street and east of State Street, was an independent political unit separate from, and geographically larger than, Chicago. The township population grew more than fivefold between 1880 and 1889 (15,716 to 85,000). In 1889, Chicago annexed Hyde Park, which ceased to function as an independent political unit.

Bibliography
Keating, Ann Durkin. Building Chicago: Suburban Developers and the Creation of a Divided Metropolis. 1988.