Encyclopedia ofChicago
Entries : Jefferson Township
Entries
J
Jefferson Township

 

 

 

Jefferson Township

Between 1850 and 1889, the area west of Western Avenue between North Avenue and Devon functioned as Jefferson Township, an independent political unit separate from Chicago. In 1872 Norwood Park Township was created from the northwest corner of Jefferson. In 1889, Chicago annexed the rest of the township and it ceased to function as a separate political unit.

Bibliography
Keating, Ann Durkin. Building Chicago: Suburban Developers and the Creation of a Divided Metropolis. 1988.