|Chicago Sunday Evening Club, 1946
The Chicago Sunday Evening Club began in 1908 with informal religious talks in Orchestra Hall presented by representatives of a variety of denominations. The programs began to be broadcast on radio in 1922, and were brought to television by WTTW in 1956. The series survived on that station into the twenty-first century as a weekly program called 30 Good Minutes. Over the years speakers have included figures as diverse as John Ashcroft, William Dever, W. E. B. DuBois, Emil Hirsch, Bill Kurtis, Reinhold Niebuhr, and Amos Alonzo Stagg.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.