|Women's Garment Factories in Chicago in 1925
Chicago once had a thriving women's garment manufacturing industry. In 1925, during its heyday, it was located principally in three concentrations. The main garment district was on South Market Street (the site of later South Wacker Drive) between Monroe and Van Buren Streets. Secondary concentrations were found on the Near West Side, both southwest of downtown and around Milwaukee Avenue between Chicago and North Avenues. The industry declined with foreign competition and outsourcing of production.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.