|First Chicago Commons Building, n.d.
The human costs of the depression and the Pullman strike led to the organization in 1894 of three of Chicago's most famous settlement houses: Chicago Commons, Northwestern University Settlement House, and the University of Chicago Settlement House. Located at 140 Union Street, Chicago Commons served as home to Graham Taylor and other settlement workers and as a meeting place for neighborhood activities. It originally had belonged to a German-American family who had moved as industry replaced agriculture. After the Great Fire in 1871, it served as the office of the Northwestern Railway. Subsequently, the main house became a boarding house for lake seamen while the annex provided housing for eight "very poor Italian families."
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.