The Marshfield station was the last station on the main line of the Metropolitan West Side Elevated Railroad before it split into its three branches: Douglas Park, Garfield Park, and the Northwest (Logan Square) branch. Opened in 1895 when the "Met" began operation, the station included multiple platforms and a pedestrian overpass that let riders transfer to the appropriate train. Adding to the congestion was the Chicago, Aurora, & Elgin interurban that shared the Garfield Park and main line tracks but also had its own platform, visible at the front of the postcard. This view of the Marshfield Junction and station looks east toward the neighborhood that had grown up near the "L" stop, transforming the formerly fashionable Near West Side into a more working-class neighborhood. Visible under the tracks is the roof of the Dreamland Ballroom (1741 West Van Buren Street), opened in 1915. In 1951, Logan Square traffic was rerouted to the Milwaukee-Dearborn Subway. In 1953, the Garfield Park was rerouted for expressway construction. The following year, the Marshfield Station was closed when the Douglas line was also rerouted. It was finally torn down when the Garfield Park line was dismantled for the Congress (later the Eisenhower) Expressway.