The Land Ordinance of 1785 stipulated that "there shall be reserved the lot No.16, of every township, for the maintenance of public schools within the township." The square-mile lots were usually known as sections, with smaller lots marked off for sale within them. Article 3 of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 reinforced this support for education, in more grandiose but less practical language, stating that "religion, morality, and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged." In this 1834 map, the "school section" is clearly shown. This square mile bounded by Madison, State, Twelfth (now Roosevelt Road), and Halsted Streets was sold on October 4, 1833, at an average cost of $60 per acre, a substantial increase from its 1830 value of $1.25 per acre.
Creator: Joshua Hathaway, Jr.
Source: Chicago Historical Society (ICHi-37308)